Week 3

This week was SO busy! I went with the BRIGHT summer winners on a field trip to Quinta Mazatlan for a nature walk. The kids and I really enjoyed seeing the birds and other animals within this urban forest. Also this week I started teaching the students how to use shelf markers. I am teaching the youngest students 1-3 the shelf marker song.

To the tune of the Hokey Pokey
You put your shelf marker in
You take the book off the shelf
You take a look at the book
and see what it's about.
You do the bookey lookey
and you see if it's just right.
That's what it's all about.
***I found this song online. I don't know where it originated. You can view a video of another librarian using this song on TeacherTube. (Well of course now I can't find it anywhere on teacher tube!)

In addition I talked about how to decide if a book is just right. I will be out all day tomorrow at a librarian meeting. I think I might be coming in for half a day on Saturday to work on getting the shelves in order. I noticed since the first week back that the books were not in order correctly. All sections, but especially the nonfiction. I really never get a chance during the day to work on this so I plan to go with my kiddos to the school Saturday and see what I can get done.

This week was also a great week for me. I had two students tell me today that they thought working in a library would be a fun job. I said "I am really enjoying it."

Comments