Preparing for my trip to San Antonio


Last week on Monday, I called Central Library in Downtown San Antonio to schedule a tour. The person I spoke to was very helpful and scheduled me for 3pm on Friday, June 12th. I searched the web for some background information about this San Antonio library. On their homepage, I noticed the interesting architecture and bright colors. According to their site, the design and colors of the library have "changed the face of downtown." It was designed by Ricardo Legorreta an architect from Mexico. He is well known for bright colors and geometric shapes. This library was built through the funding of a bond issue in with construction beginning in 1993. The doors opened to the public in 1995.

The library has a few special features including the Blue Room created by Stephen Antonakos. This room marks the entrance to the library was designed to have a calming effect on patrons as they enter the library. Another feature is a mural created by Jesse Trevino. The 36 foot long mural he created for the library is a collage of images from San Antonio during World War II.

Interesting points to note- this library is more than twice the size of the former main library. It has six floors above ground on one floor below ground. Its seating capacity is 1,300.

I look forward to arriving at the library on Friday.

Comments